Alumni & Supporters
ALUMNI & SUPPORTERS
2019 will be an exciting year as we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the opening of New College!
Over the last two years I have met with dozens of alumni from all five decades since the College opened. I have also met with with former staff and board members and the current New College Board. These meetings have been to discuss and listen to ideas for how we might appropriately mark the significant milestone of 50 years.
I have been excited by the feedback and enthusiasm from the alumni and other stakeholders who see the 50th Anniversary as an excellent opportunity to reconnect with old friends, relive aspects of their New College experience and reminisce.
The following proposed events and other opportunities have resulted from the consultation process.
- ‘Back to New’ provides lots of exciting opportunities to spend time with your college friends.
- The main event is the Alumni Ball at the newly refurbished UNSW Roundhouse (Saturday night). We have booked the entire Roundhouse venue so that each 5-year period will have the opportunity to have their own function room and reunion. You will be able to roam between cohorts if your College years don’t fit within a neat five year period. It will be a cocktail style event (with sweet & savoury food stations) providing maximum opportunity to mingle. Combined formalities and a range of entertainment will take place in the main atrium throughout the evening.
- Other events include a College and Campus Tour, 1969-1974 Alumni Afternoon Tea, the inaugural Alumni Revue, Open Day and Sports Afternoon, and Thanksgiving Service.
- If you’re travelling from afar or are just looking to relive your College days, accommodation and meals in the College are on offer.
- Register before 1 Dec 2018 for an early bird discount.
50th Anniversary History Book
- New College alumna and history graduate, Adela Davis, has been studiously researching the College archives and interviewing founders, former staff and alumni to reveal and write a comprehensive and compelling history. This will reflect both the entertaining and more serious facets of College life.
- The book will be available in 2019.
Formal Dinner Program
- New College’s 2019 Formal Dinner program for current residents will feature all alumni guest speakers. Alumni and friends of the College will have the opportunity to register to attend these.
Commencement Dinner 20 February
Lent Dinner 10 April
Trinity Dinner 5 June
Scientia Dinner 7 August
Fellowship Dinner 18 September
- We will advise our confirmed speakers over the next two months.
Official Opening of New College Anniversary
- There will be a Foundation Formal Luncheon (12 October) 50 years to the day since the official opening of the College.
- Places at this event will be limited and, by necessity, by invitation.
- From 2019, alumni will be eligible for a discounted rate to stay in guest accommodation at New College.
- Alumni will be eligible to opt-in for free subscription to the CASE Online Library – www.case.edu.au
- We are investigating better ways to expand the connection between current residents and our alumni.
- An additional program of events will soon be announced in relation to the New College Postgraduate Village 10th Anniversary celebrations, which are also in 2019.
- There may be the possibility of an international event, subject to demand.
What can you do to help make the New College 50th Anniversary and other alumni initiatives really worthwhile?
- Register for the Back to New weekend now!
- Please note the formal dinner dates.
- Contact your contemporaries who might not have kept their contact details up-to-date with the College and let them know about what is planned. Your friends can update their contact details any time at Update My Details on the New College Portal.
- Send us your photos for the history, which we will look after and return to you.
Further information about the proposed initiatives will be provided in the next edition of New ‘n’ Old. I very much hope that you will be able to participate in at least one of the events or initiatives as we celebrate our fabulous history.
Adjunct Professor Bill Peirson
Master of New College
New College has a vast network of alumni and supporters who are involved in the broader College community. They participate in current College life and are involved in various projects and activities including a range of formal and informal events. They also support the College through donating their time, skills, expertise, experience and money to help ensure the College’s ongoing growth and development as an institution. In this section of the website you can:
- Read news about alumni
- Find out about the Alumni Association and its activities
- Support New College financially
- Buy Merchandise and Memorabilia
- Get in touch with other alumni
- Update your contact details with the College